New Glarus Cheese and Onion Pie
New Glarus, Wisconsin's cheese and onion pie—a delicious savory pie perfect for brunch or supper.
1 (9-inch) unbaked deep-dish pastry shell*
1 cup onion, quartered and thinly sliced
1 tablespoon butter
3 large eggs, beaten
3/4 cup half-and-half (light cream)
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon white pepper
1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
1 1/2 cups shredded Wisconsin Swiss cheese
1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
- Preheat oven to 400ºF (205ºC).
- Line pie shell with heavy duty foil and bake for 8 minutes. Remove foil and bake an additional 4 to 5 minutes until pastry is set; remove from oven.
- Reduce oven temperature to 350ºF (175ºC).
- In a medium skillet, sauté onions in butter over medium-high heat, stirring frequently until tender and just beginning to brown, 8 to 10 minutes; set aside.
- In a medium bowl, combine eggs, half-and-half, salt, pepper and nutmeg; mix well.
- In small bowl, toss Wisconsin Swiss cheese with flour. Combine onions, egg and cheese mixtures.
- Pour filling into warm pie shell, sprinkle with additional nutmeg and bake 30 to 35 minutes until set, browned and puffy. Shield edges of crust with foil, if necessary, to prevent over-browning.
- Allow to stand 5 to 10 minutes before slicing.
Makes 6 servings.
*Use store bought ready-to-use, or homemade pastry using your favorite recipe, or ours: Basic Pie Crust 101.
Recipe and photograph provided courtesy of Wisconsin Milk Marketing Board, Inc.