Ham in Pastry
This elegant orange marmalade-glazed ham wrapped in flaky pastry will impress your family and guests.
1 (3-pound) boneless, fully-cooked ham
1 cup water
Pastry for 1 (9-inch) single-crust pie*
1 (10-ounce) jar orange marmalade
1 large egg, beaten
- Place ham in a shallow roasting pan; add water. Cover with aluminum foil. Place in a cold oven and set temperature to 325°F (160°C); bake for 30 minutes.
- Remove ham from oven and drain. Cool slightly.
- Meanwhile, roll out pastry dough into a long rectangle 3/8-inch thick.
- Spread orange marmalade over ham. Place ham on one side of pastry dough and fold over to enclose ham. Brush dough with beaten egg. Place in an ungreased baking pan.
- Increase oven temperature to 375°F (190°C) and bake for 45 minutes. Let stand for 15 minutes before slicing.
Makes 8 to 10 servings.
*Use store bought ready-to-use, or homemade pastry using your favorite recipe, or ours: Basic Pie Crust 101.
Note: Directions are for a bone-in, fully cooked ham. Also called “ready-to-eat” or “heat-and-serve” ham. A “cook-before-eating” ham must be cooked to an internal temperature of 160°F (70°C), approximately 18 to 20 minutes per pound.