Stock forms the basis for many dishes such as soups, gravies and sauces, as well as for cooking vegetables, rice and more.
3 pounds veal breast
1 veal shank
5 or 6 bone-in pieces of chicken
3 quarts water
1 1/2 teaspoons salt
5 carrots, diced
2 turnips, diced
1 parsnip, diced
4 leeks (white part only)
3 stalks celery with leaves, diced
1 large onion, diced
1 medium onion
2 whole cloves
- In large soup kettle, combine veal, veal shank and chicken pieces. Add water and salt. Cover. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer 4 hours.
- Prepare vegetables, inserting cloves into middle of onion.
- Add vegetables to pot along with Herb Bouquet. Simmer an additional 1 1/2 hours.
- Remove from heat, and strain through a fine sieve. Meat and vegetables may be served as desired.
- When broth is cool, refrigerate and then remove hardened fat from top of stock. Refrigerate in covered container for up to 1 week or freeze in measured portions for easy use for up to 6 months.
Makes about 2 1/2 quarts stock; 10 cups.