Spring Leg of Lamb
Elegant, tender leg of lamb is a perennial favorite for the spring holiday table.
1 (4 to 7-pound) leg of lamb
2 large cloves garlic, peeled and slivered
1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
2 tablespoons crushed dried thyme
2 tablespoons dried rosemary, crushed
1 teaspoon salt
6 fresh rosemary sprigs (optional)
- Preheat oven to 425°F (220°C).
- Cut slits all over lamb with tip of sharp knife; insert garlic slivers. Combine oil, thyme, rosemary, pepper and salt in small bowl. Pat herb-mixture over lamb. Place lamb in shallow roasting pan.
- Bake, uncovered, on center rack for 45 minutes. Reduce temperature to 375°F (190°C); cook for an additional 45 to 60 minutes. Remove from oven; insert instant-read thermometer into thickest part of meat (temperature should read 155°F / 65°C for medium.)
- Loosely cover; let stand for 15 minutes before carving.
- Place lamb on serving platter; garnish with rosemary.
- Serve with Apricot Mint Sauce, Minted Yogurt Sauce or Fresh Mint Condiment.
Makes 4 to 6 servings.