Oats Add Whole Grain Goodness To Foods
Chewy goodness, nutty flavor, nutrient richness, and high fiber content have long made oats a breakfast favorite.
But this natural whole grain is versatile and economical for other cooking purposes that shouldn't be overlooked.
Regular and quick-cooking oats are essentially interchangeable, but regular oats add chewy texture and are ideal for granola, cookies, desserts and pie crust. Quick-cooking oats, cut into smaller flakes during processing, are less noticeable.
Six Nutritional Facts About Oats:
1. Oats are high in carbohydrates for sustained energy.
2. Oats are a good source of dietary fiber, assisting the digestive system and aiding in weight control.
3. Oats contain water soluble fiber, which has been shown to have beneficial effects on controlling blood cholesterol levels when consumed as part of a low-fat, balanced diet, according to the US Food and Drug Administration.
4. Oats are a low glycaemic index (GI) food. Emphasizing foods with a low GI in the diet can help people with diabetes control blood sugar levels.
5. Oats provide zinc, which is needed for growth, reproduction and good vision, as well as being essential for wounds to heal properly.
6. Oats also provide magnesium, iron, the antioxidant Vitamin E and the vitamins niacin and thiamine.
A "Tasteful" Tip for Oats:
For a delicious nuttier flavor, use toasted oats in recipes calling for oats. To Toast, spread oats on a baking sheet; bake at 350°F (175°C) for about 10 minutes, stirring occasionally. Toasted oats turn a plain bowl of breakfast oatmeal into something special (a favorite in my home). Toss in some raisins or chopped dates and watch the smiles appear in your kitchen.
Recipes with the whole grain goodness of oats:
- Apricot Oatmeal Bars
- Baked Oatmeal with Sautéed Apples
- Berry Almond Crumble Oatmeal
- Breakfast Porridge
- Crispy Orange Oatmeal Cookies
- Curach (Irish Honey and Oatmeal Cream)
- Deluxe Oatmeal Cookies
- Family Favorite Meatloaf
- Granny Smith Oatmeal Waffles
- Granola Deluxe
- Hillbilly Pie
- Irish Oatmeal
- Lumberjack Pancakes
- Oat Mocha Brownies
- Oatmeal Brown Sugar Pancakes
- Oatmeal Cake
- Oatmeal Caramelitas
- Oatmeal Cherry Toffee Cookies
- Oatmeal Crispies
- Oatmeal Dinner Rolls
- Oatmeal Molasses Bread
- Oatmeal Muffins
- Oatmeal Peanut Butter Cookies
- Oatmeal Porridge
- Oats and Honey Buttermilk Bread
- Raspberry Oatmeal Bars
- Toasted Oatmeal Cookies